Thursday, June 29, 2017

Belitung Island Pt 3

We spent some time island hopping, snorkeling, and applying sunscreen repeatedly. We arrived at Kelayang Harbor on the northeast coast of Belitung.

Here I am with Bu Eksa. We brought our own snorkel masks but they provided life vests. The vests are not at all suitable for short-torso people. When I sat down, the vest reached partway up my face! Long torso owner B had no issue.

Our boat is right behind us in this shot. Named Kapal Kita it means "our boat."
Notice the hat change. Even with sunglasses, I needed to borrow B's rimmed hat. He managed with just the ball cap pretty well.

Notice the bamboo ladder-- pieces of bamboo lashed together. We had to climb in and out of the boat using this ladder. We put on our life vests, climbed the ladder and we were off!

This small sandbar is particularly popular during low tide. B enjoyed Palau Pasir as the island is actually named (palau= island). He couldn't wait to climb down our bamboo/rope ladder to investigate.



In the background you can see Palau Lengkuas (with lighthouse).

Getting closer to Palau Lengkuas.






On Palau Lengkuas.
The lighthouse was built by the Dutch in 1882. A couple of weeks prior to our visit the lighthouse was closed to tourists so we couldn't take in the view from high up. A caretaker was taking unacceptable fees for using the public restroom here. B comment: did we mention the boulders? Here are a few more!
A small monitor lizard is hiding in here--a camera-shy lizard!
An artsy shot.
Our underwater Fuji camera is still going strong. Some snorkeling photos.


Notice the coral growing project trays in this shot. Researchers grow the coral in this sort of contraption until they are large enough to get placed.
I'll mention just a few species:Needle-spined sea urchin, copperband butterflyfish, blue-green chromis, some damsels, eight-banded butterflyfish (Chaetodon octofasciatus), vermiculate angelfish (Chaetodontoplus mesoleucus), sergeant major, scissortail sergeant, some wrasses, several white fish with either a single black dot or 2 black dots. And here's a feather duster!


I am not sure what this creature is. It could be a small snowflake moral eel, or some sort of ribbon eel, or possibly a sharpsnout snake eel, or a sea snake of some kind. Wish we could have gotten a better photo. B comment: I think it is a sea snake though we have a split decision.




Here's B swimming in from a snorkel foray.

Forgive me while I step onto my soapbox. I know they are banking on tourism on this island but some things need to change to achieve success. There was a high level of trash on the beaches (proper waste handling is just not yet part of the culture here) and there are some steps they could take to better protect the reef so tourists can continue to appreciate it for a long time to come. Our guide brought bread along to throw out of the boat to lure some fish to the surface. I don't encourage this sort of thing. A guide brought me a shell from the bottom. I politely said thank you but as soon as I could I dropped it back over the side. Off the soapbox now.

Another interesting lunch was enjoyed at Palau Gede Kepayang.

In case you were wondering what the above sign says: Smart people throw trash in its place.

The restaurant here serves freshly caught and grilled fish. Again no options, lunch was just delivered. Correction. There was one option. Hot coffee or tea was included—with or without sugar.  I asked for hot coffee with milk. At first this seemed OK, but in a few minutes several people came back to our table to explain that if I wanted milk it was extra. Due to refrigeration costs? Don't know.
Loving all of the white sand on the islands!

Another stop on our island tour was Palau Batu Berlayer (sailing rock island). Giant granite boulders with  high vertical rock shapes appear to resemble sails on a boat or so they say. The sand plays the part of the boat under the sails. Hmmm. Regardless, I think we can all agree it was cool and GORGEOUS!


I think it was near here that we saw a small octopus hiding in the shadows between two boulders right at the water's edge. I tried to get a photo but my movement caused the octopus to hide. We also saw this sea star! The water was so clear here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment or ask questions...