Saturday, June 8, 2019

Since the last post in March..3/3 Food and drink!

I mentioned we had a bit of a wait for our passports (and residence visas) back in late March.We spent a few days in Singapore in order to facilitate the process. While there, we visited the zoo again as well as the craft store for a few essentials, but practically no photos were taken. We have been to the Singapore Zoo quite a few times so I suppose we have covered it photographically.

We were fascinated, however,  with the dessert spot in our hotel. Just read some of these descriptions:

The green dome is called a Moscow. It's candied exotic gelee of mango, passionfruit, and banana with a toasted almond sponge and vanilla bean mousse. The one to the left of the Moscow is called a Cassis Puffy. It is airy choux puff with rich cassis cremeaux combined with cassis marshmallow and coated with chocolate.

The royal hazel is rich chocolate paste with a combination of premium dark chocolate matched with crispy feufetine.

The Pomme is green apple whipped french creme with fresh green apple cubes with dill and jelly gel.

Merrily Cherry is cherry confit, creamy cherry cremeaux with dark chocolate and a vanilla sponge.

Forest is light french chantilly with morello cherries soaked with kirsch merging with dark chocolate.

You get the idea- super fancy desserts! All sorts of layers with a pretty outer shell. We tried two. One was pretty good. The other one was so so, but they sure look pretty.

I think I took a photo of this pizza because it wasn't just plain cheese- a huge departure for me as I am a cheese with extra cheese gal. This was kale and something...
I baked again for the bake sale for our Social Welfare Committee during our (AWA) spring bazaar held in April. My salted caramel bars were a big hit once again. A couple of people even texted me about them later!
I think it was 3 years ago when I first saw this type of date cookie. It was during Ramadan. Haven't seen them since until this year! There are only 12 cookies in a box but they are good. Maybe I like these because of a similar family cookie filled with dates.?

 Here is another little item I just don't understand- cheese brownies? Yuck!

I took a couple of classes involving cooking with AWA recently. One was Indian cooking where we learned how to make choleys and parantha. Apparently, you really need a pressure cooker to cook chick peas in Indian cooking. I will try it just slow cooking on the stove, but the Indian ladies insist it is so much easier and better with a pressure cooker. This is the choley. Yum! I took home all the fixins' to match a batch myself.
I also took another bread making class. I signed up because signups were slow in coming and the teacher was getting nervous. It turned out that many more people signed up at the last minute and the class was sold out but I was already committed. One of the ladies went out and bought a whisk for the class. (It was on the recommended items to bring.) We all assured her she would find other uses for her brand new whisk.

Oh dear, these are not green drinks! We went in a different direction on this day.
On the left we have a sweet poison and on the right a Basilico punch.
 I think this one is called a coco dragon - coconut and dragonfruit.
Finally, yes, a green drink. This is a pandan and ginger. It was quite gingery! I think it would be better with slightly less ginger. Just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment or ask questions...