Tuesday, March 17, 2015

P hosts Needle Nomads

I finally felt ready to host my sewing/quilting/knitting group of ladies at our home. Founders of the group named us Needle Nomads.

B and I managed to accumulate some basics necessary for hosting more than a couple of people: a set of 12 coffee mugs (around $1.70 US each), a sugar bowl and creamer, a carafe to keep coffee warm, a pitcher for ice water and/or tea, a couple of extra serving dishes. About the only thing we already had was a hot pot that quickly brings water up to temperature for making tea. That was provided with the apartment. Oh, yes, I found a set of 12 inexpensive coffee/dessert spoons as well.

Last week I volunteered to host on Thursday.  I was glad that several ladies were traveling out of the country. We had 8 including myself which filled the only table I have. {When I host again, hopefully we will have purchased a small card table type table and 4 more chairs.}

Everything went very well despite my nerves hosting for the first time. I had some initial trouble with coffee because our water dispenser wasn't heating the water properly. I ended up having to dump the first batch and heat the water to brew coffee in the tea water device. We don't have an actual coffee maker, just a French coffee press.  The menu was the following: coffee, iced tea and water, Benedictine (recipe from Louisville, KY made with cream cheese, cucumber, onion, parsley), tea sandwiches, sweet potato mini-burritos, cut up veggies with a basil aioli dip, cut up fresh fruit, earl grey tea bread with orange zest,  and lemon meringue pie.

Ibu Tin made the pie on her own. In fact, it was her recipe. I made the tea bread. We worked together on the other recipes because they were new to both of us. Yes, I used previously untested recipes!

I asked Ibu Tin to finely mince some parsley to sprinkle in the Benedictine sandwiches. After a few minutes she presented me with something that practically parsley powder. She has amazing knife skills! My response was, yes, that was fine enough!
Everything was delicious. The biggest hit was probably the basil aioli dip. I include the recipe here because it was just so good! And it was easy.

Basil Aioli Dip

1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon zest
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
pinch of salt

Combine in a food processor and process until smooth. Will keep covered in refrigerator up to 2 days. Serve with a variety of cut up veggies. I used: red pepper, jicama (benkoang), carrot (wortel), cucumber (ketimun). Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment or ask questions...