Saturday, April 25, 2015

Long time no post

It's been a while since my last post. I have lots of excuses: I volunteered at the Amer. Women's Assoc. annual spring bazaar, I finished my lavender socks, started knitting another pair, made B a batik shirt, started making some quilting blocks... the list goes on and on. B was getting ready for a visit from the French contingent and then hosting the French contingent.

Also, our assisten rumah tangga (household assistant- the more PC phrase for "maid") has been absent. Her mother became ill and Tin went to her village to care for her mother. She's been gone for 2 weeks. Tin's village is a 16 hr bus ride eastward on Java. Her village is pretty close to the other end of this island. Anyway, with Bu Tin away, I've had to "do some stuff" that's kept me away from posting.

Let me catch you up.  One day B had a craving for potato chips. This is our first potato chip purchase since living here. In the potato chip aisle we found all sorts of interesting flavors many of which I would never buy. I think there was even a durian flavor chip. These are 2 of the more harmless sounding ones. These 2 both had "chicken" in the title. The first Rasa Ayan bumbu means spicy chicken flavor. The second, Rasa Ayam Panggang Paprika, means Grilled chicken paprika flavor. They both tasted the same, a little like chicken wings. Note flavors we didn't buy included smoked rib, seaweed and salt (seems benign) and salmon.
 
Here is another Bahasa Indonesia lesson. Have you ever asked yourself, what do they eat for breakfast? This is my most frequent morning meal. You may actually have eaten these. They are sort of like shredded wheat squares but a finer grain texture. The thing on the right is skim milk. Note the cow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment or ask questions...