Wednesday, November 12, 2014

My sewing machine

I did already own a sewing machine. It is in storage in the US. We were advised that even with a transformer items like clocks and sewing machines can be fried when you switch voltage. Because of this, we knew I would need to buy another sewing machine here. Last Saturday we accomplished this goal. I met a couple of ladies who belong to a sewing/quilting/knitting group and these ladies gave me the name of a shop in Jakarta where I could get a good price on a machine.  Apparently I was just one of many ladies that a Dutch quilter had sent to this same shop so she has a good relationship with them.  [Note: I did actually meet this lady at a "meeting" of the sewing/quilting/knitting group this week. They call themselves Needle Nomads. All expats.]
This place is more of a machine repair shop that sells sewing machines as opposed to a sewing machine sales store. Many types and a range of quality and price. I just needed a machine that could do the standard stitches and sew manual buttonholes and I now have it. We bought it on Saturday. And for a very reasonable price of about $17 US we also got a table for the machine where the machine sits down into a hole in the top. It's not the most elegant table certainly but it is very sturdy and has rubber feet so that should help dampen the noise for the tenant below us. I don't quite understand the paint choice on the edge of the table top however. I'd have gone with something that matched at least a little better.  As with all things electric here, they wanted me to try out the machine.
My new machine!!!! It has some differences from my Bernina that I've used for decades so that is taking some getting used to and the thread tension, etc., will need to be adjusted for different fabrics perhaps a little more than with my Bernina, but I will just have to learn. I will find some time to practice all of this before I create anything too complicated. And I might get a small can of paint and take care of that burnt orange band around the tabletop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment or ask questions...