Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Crafting Continued

While back in the US I came upon this in mom's closet. I made this for her so many years ago I have no idea when it happened. I also stitched oval pieces of fabric for Mom to paint a design. Guess that never happened, but I did find an oval piece in her sewing basket so there is still time!
 I actually knitted this last summer after a trip back to the US. Conversation centered around Christmas and I thought, "Little Belle must have a Santa sweater!" I already had red yarn and white yarn and even the yarn to complete the buckle. We only had to find some black yarn for the belt and the Santa suit was possible. So cute! [Sad note: The family lost Belle to a rare disease just recently but she really enjoyed her Santa outfit at Christmas last year!]
I began these socks last spring or even before that. They got set aside, as a PHD (project half done) as I took up other projects. My crafty group friend Danielle knitted a few rows on these during the last session she attended before moving to the US. All of her projects were already packed up and I had two projects with me so she worked on these a little bit. We have very similar knitting tension because you can't tell where the Danielle rows are located.
Leading up to Christmas I had two gift projects in the works: a nursing themed quilt filled with various germs and such for our niece and also a small paper pieced wall hanging for sister. For both of these I tried my hand at machine quilting.
During the early part of 2018 I finally finished my garden themed quilt. I've written about the initial purchase of fabrics in fall of 2015, the lack of any work on the project for at least 1.5 years, then finally getting it in gear and starting the project. I did outsource the hand quilting on it but I did everything else.

A little painting project while in the states.  Mom worked her project and I worked on this "project bag" for my knitting. Added the drawstring topper later.

B mentioned that the coaster he had at the office was barely large enough for the water glasses that are provided. I casually mentioned that I could make him a couple. I also mentioned I could embroider the company logo on a coaster.  B picked the background fabric and now he has a "fancy" coaster for his water glass.
I've said it before but the group of friends I have made here help make all of this work possible. We all help each other in so many ways. Sometimes we share a technique for embroidery, applique, quilting, sewing, knitting, or crochet.  Sometimes we consult, sometimes we baste a quilt together on the floor or help tape out a machine quilt pattern ( also on the floor!)— everyone is so generous with their knowledge and their time. Sometimes we just talk. Our little group includes representatives from quite a few countries  (and I am forgetting some of them as I type this): United States, Italy, Denmark, New Zealand, Wales, Australia, Iran, Afghanistan, Egypt, The Netherlands, Indonesia, South Africa, Canada and Austria. Thanks ladies and John!
Here are two very recent pictures which show some of our current members, though one of those pictured has just relocated.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment or ask questions...