Tuesday, February 17, 2015

It's still the rainy season


Still in the rainy season. Last Monday, we’d had rains and were still having rain and there was a lot of flooding in specific pockets of town. I really did not want to stay in that day so I ventured out despite the conditions. We did drive through standing water in 3 locations. At the last and worst spot, I considered turning around and giving up, but my driver Pak Oky felt that we’d gone through the worst of it and he was right. I took this shot at flooding spot 2. Sorry it’s a little blurry but my attention was more on water than on the photography. In addition, I didn’t want to make Oky nervous by taking too many photos. The water was probably only 12-18 inches at the most ( hope).. Our front tires are making the wave.

Flooding got worse overnight Monday and Oky couldn’t even get to work Tuesday morning. His mother-in-law’s house had been flooded. The area in which we live had only one small flooded area.

Last Thursday I spent about 4 hours in the car. I went to a friend’s house and traveled to B’s office to pick him up then back to the apartment. We had an early Bahasa Indonesian class then an early dinner out and returned to the apartment. How was the time spent? 50 minutes to the friend’s house, 1 hour to B’s work, 45 minutes to the apartment, nearly an hour getting to the restaurant for dinner and an hour plus returning to the apartment. As I write this, I believe there was another stop during the day that took the total time closer to 5 hours, but I can’t remember what it was. (B comment: Jakarta has the most start/stops anywhere in the world per driver per year – 38,000+. Also, on average, people in Jakarta spend 400 hours per year in the car. That’s 2.5 weeks or 4+% of one’s year!).

I snapped a few photos that night returning from the restaurant. I'm sharing one.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment or ask questions...