Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Socks, Quilting, Pak Hendra. MAJ

My friend who is teaching me how to do this was back in town a few days and then took off again. I had to navigate through the heel on my own. Let me just say that this was extremely difficult. I pulled out the stitches over and over again trying different methods for decreasing stitches and finally found the one I liked. I could just not transition from the heel itself to the straight up knitting to go up the leg. I worked it over and over. The wording on every set of instructions I read just did not make sense to my brain. Finally, I figured out something (or the correct thing (I’m still not sure)) but I managed to make the transition and created my own set of notes on how to do it. I probably don’t speak kitting well enough yet.

Here’s the progress so far: The other sock is just past ending the heel. I still haven’t found another set of needles so I am still switching back and forth from my paperclip holders I made and the needles. B seems to think I should stop pretty soon and make these “slipper socks” but I may make them into knee socks. That would mean I probably wouldn’t wear them here, but I would get the practice.

Recently I learned how to make 3 different types of 3-D quilt squares. Quite a few ladies canceled out at the last minute leaving me with the “teacher” nearly one on one. It was great. I am working on creating a pillow using various types of these squares. Our next “class” will probably be next month. I was a little concerned about lugging my sewing machine to Robyn’s house, but it was actually pretty easy— Pak Oky carried it for me. He won’t even let me carry heavy grocery bags! The lower right quilt square gets those little pleats hand tacked after the square is attached to other squares so for now that one isn’t finished. In the photo the square with all of the pleats folded in the same direction needs to be blocked a little. The seam looks really crooked in the photo but it really isn't.
One day Pak Hendra was in our apartment looking at a new water leak. He had to return later in the day and on his return he asked if he could take a photo of himself by our window. It seems that he liked the background of the filtrage(sheers). Most people in this building apparently have ones that hang flat, they are not pinch-pleated and double or triple the width of the window so there are no folds. I said, “Of course.” (Tentu saja.) I snapped a couple myself. Here is Pak Hendra, our tenant relations manager for the building, in front of our sheers.

 In loving memory of MAJ: 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment or ask questions...