Saturday, September 6, 2014

To salak or not to salak

That is an excellent question so today we decided to test it out.

But first, we've done 2 visits to the future apartment and things seem to be progressing well. Painting is ongoing, the AC system seems to have been checked and cleaned, the drapes we are keeping have been removed for cleaning, the furniture we wished removed and replaced is gone so it's all going well. On my Thursday visit I met the "relations manager" for the apartment building. He followed me up to the apartment and brought along his assistant. He wanted to be sure I knew how important communication is with the tenants, owners, etc., and how he hoped we'd be happy there, etc.

Today, B and I both stopped by and the young man at the reception desk just gave us the key and used his pass key to let us into the elevator, but no one accompanied us upstairs.

We were able to make some additional measurements. On Thursday when I was there they were actively painting the master bedroom so I could not get in there. I got the measurements today. PS The master bedroom color looks nice, but the paint smell reminds me of the pachyderm area at the Zoo.

Back to the salak (or as it is commonly called in English, snake egg):
B had tried this fruit on a previous visit, but so far I had not tried it. B's impression was not too favorable. Salak is a native fruit, grown both on both Java and Bali. It is the fruit of a type of palm.There are the two main ones: salak pondoh and salak bali. The salak pondoh is the darker one. They sell both here. For our first experiment, we chose the darker on that is grown on Java because we are on Java. We brought the one lone salak home, properly washed it and after dinner I decided now was the time.
 After looking up exactly how one goes about eating the salak, we peeled it, then peeled off a very thin plastic-like film covering each segment.
Now... for... the... tasting!
My impression is about the same as Brad's. It's ok if it's all you have, but it doesn't hold a candle to dragon fruit or passion fruit or soursop. And, on top of that, the fruit smells a little funky. Our research revealed a tiny tidbit of information that might lead to another experiment. It seems that the  salak Bali is more fruity in aroma and taste. Do I feel another experiment coming on?

By the way, each of the 3 segments contains a large inedible pit. I ate one segment and B ate the other two segments.

1 comment:

Feel free to comment or ask questions...