Thursday, August 21, 2014

ACE hardware

Yesterday I spent a couple of hours roaming a HUGE Ace hardware store ( Home Center) making a list of things they have, things we need, etc. The ACE store fills most of the 5th floor of the Grand Indonesia Mall. When I say HUGE I am not exaggerating. The mall itself is so large with so many sets of escalators anyone could easily get lost, especially if you are me.  But on this visit, I did not get lost!

I did learn that they sell very large counter-top electric ovens, some close to the size of a medium oven in the states, including multiple shelves. This will come in handy if we get an apartment without an oven. I'm not sure how well it would work, but at least it's something. I was astounded by the shower glass squeegee department. An entire aisle of different types of squeegees to keep those clear glass shower stalls/doors sparkling clean.  And just in case you forget to squeegee, they carry something called Bruce's GSR Heavy Duty-Brown in small tubs for the purpose of removing water spots. I wrote down all of this information because if they sell something like that and they stock a large volume of it, I am probably going to need it at some point.

Actually, the cleaning product section itself was huge. It will be fun investigating this further. There is a European brand of cleaning products called Astonish. I had heard of it and I think it can be found in some spots in the US, but I've never seen it on a shelf.  Anyway, here, a huge wall unit of Astonish products included everything from glass cleaning products to laundry stain removers to stove cleaners. All sorts of things. 

I may just plant some strawberries and tomatoes on a balcony. I can purchase kits to do just this at the ACE store.

In case you're wondering where will be store financial records, our passports, etc., they have a HUGE selection of safes, all different sizes and shapes. Of course, there might be one in one of the wardrobes. We did not look and some apartments did have a safe built in.

They even have those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers (thought a different brand, and in Chinese but I'm sure that's what they are). I had just discovered these little gems and had learned they really do work just before we sold the house.

I even spent time in the tool department. We'll need a few things but I bought a tape measure to get us started. We'll need one to measure for furniture and all I brought with me was a 6 ft tape which I carry in my purse. Yes, I carry a small tape measure in my purse. I also kept a dirty old blue tarp in the back of my car just in case! We all have issues.
There are all sorts of storage containers, lamps, kitchen/household appliances, air purifiers, vacuums, irons, blenders, slow cookers ( we'll be getting one!), clocks, and even decorative items.There is even a pet department so your cat or dog has everything that they need. And in case you need one, blood pressure monitors.

Early on in my ACE visit, I found a very interesting set of 20 metal dragonflies. They have a bronze finish and are about 4" in diameter. You place them individually in a grouping on the wall. Perhaps there will be a spot for this wherever we live. I think I could hang them with Command Strips (which ACE carries) so I don't damage the wall.

So, it's probably clear by now that ACE carries all sorts of stuff. I'm sure I will go back many, many times. And there's supposed to an even better one in another area of town.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment or ask questions...