Tuesday, August 26, 2014

AWA & Closer to having an apartment

Start with the last thing first:  We are one step closer to having a place to live. The owner has signed a letter of intent. The company then signs. Once that happens, a deposit is given and then we have a formal contract.  Until money actually changes hands from us to the owner, if someone else actually hands over money first we could still lose it. So, we are closer and it's pretty certain, but we'll keep you posted.

The first item: Today I attended my first "Coffee and Chat" of the American Women's Association of Jakarta (AWA).  My driver Oky delivered me to the location without even having to stop and ask someone. It is located on Jl Rimba Buntu which according to Brad means dead end. It's a tiny, tiny street but we did it.

I felt more comfortable when I saw that they have a security person who has you sign in if you're new or you show your badge if you are a member. There was another one at the street itself at the foot of the "driveway".

I met several nice ladies, 2 from Texas- one of whom has a sister who lives in, guess where- Louisville. I can't remember where they others were from.  They do allow a certain number of non US ladies and even have a few US men have joined but I'm not sure if they attend anything. AWA has weekly coffees on Mondays, there is a special newcomer event in a couple of weeks I think. At the meeting next week (I think) the US Ambassador will talk to the group. Should be interesting and hope to attend. My driver drove me past the Ambassador's house today. It's an old Dutch style home behind a high fence. 

The book I really wanted to buy is out of stock and at the printer now. It is a picture book of fruits and veggies. The "pictures" are just line drawings but the names are there in Bahasa and English and there is information about each one. I will just have to wait.

I almost got my hands on a 3-hole punch! [They have a thrift shop where people donate things they don't need ( especially expats returning home) and then AWA sells them. Monies raised go to several orphanages and other helpful organizations in Jakarta.]  I was buying a 2nd hand book on living in Indonesia and thinking about that 3-hole punch but Brad is pretty sure I included one in the air shipment so I was really debating spending $2.00 USD on it when the president of AWA grabbed it and placed it on the counter with delight and exclaimed, "I really need this!" Alas, I did not get the 3-hole punch - memo to self... don't wait quite so long to make a decision.

By the way, the AWA just recently relocated to this building. It has a beautiful garden at the rear which can be viewed through floor to ceiling glass windows across 2 rooms. I could live there!

Whether I attend a lot of functions or not, I support what the group is doing so I joined. I got a free cookbook for joining so now I have one cookbook. It's a sort of international cookbook with contributions from past and current AWA members.

Additional note: I now have my KITAS limited stay visa. We will have to renew our KITAS visas annually but I hope that renewing them is easier than getting the original one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment or ask questions...